I’m going to let you in on one of my all time favorite recipes—Healthy Quinoa Stuffed Peppers. The best part is they are as equally easy as they are delicious.
I make these every time peppers are decently priced at the grocery store, which is quite often. One of the best parts about this recipe is that you don’t have to follow it exactly. There’s so much room for your own interpretation. I mix it up all the time.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 3-5 Bell Peppers (I like green best, but a multi-pack of colored peppers makes for some good Instagram pics)
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 lb ground turkey or beef
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup salsa
- Seasonings (garlic salt, pepper, basil)
- Shredded cheese
How to make Healthy Quinoa Stuffed Peppers:
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cook the quinoa on the stove top.
- Brown the meat and onion.
- Cut the bell peppers in half and scoop out any innards. Place peppers halves on a baking sheet.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the meat, onion, and quinoa.
- Add the mushrooms, salsa, and sprinkle in seasonings to taste.
- Scoop the mixture into the pepper halves and place into the oven for 35-45 minutes. When they look almost ready, the peppers will start looking wrinkly, take the pan out of the oven.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of each filled pepper and place back in the oven for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve it up! And, enjoy every little bit of it.
- Use rice instead of quinoa
- Add some tomatoes, corn, or black beans
- Try different types of cheese. Taco blend is a fun one
- Change your seasonings. I added curry powder once and it was yummy!