This healthy apple crisp is loaded with whole ingredients. Warm cinnamon apples topped with sweet crumbles. Enjoy with a scoop—or two—of vanilla ice cream.
If you asked Jackson what his favorite type of cake is, he’d say pie. Blueberry. Apple. Strawberry Rhubarb. If it’s pie, Jackson is all over it. In college, Jackson’s roommate brought home an apple pie and bet Jackson couldn’t eat the whole thing—so Jackson did.
Jackson’s a healthy man, but if you put an apple dessert in front of him you can bet he’ll eat it. We go crazy over this healthy apple crisp for more reasons than one:
- There’s no added sugar.
- It’s gluten-free. (If you use gluten-free oats.)
- It’s super easy to make.
- It tastes so stinkin’ good!
Although pure oats are gluten-free and safe for most gluten-intolerant people, I’d recommend buying gluten-free oats when cooking for a gluten-free friend, just in case. Many places that process oats also process wheat, barley, and rye which could contaminate the oats and cause discomfort for gluten-intolerant people.
Let’s Get To Work
This recipe uses simple ingredients including: granny smith apples, cinnamon, maple syrup, water, old fashioned oats, coconut flour, egg, nuts, salt and butter.
You’ll make this recipe in two parts—apple mixture and crumble topping—but you only need to use one large bowl.
We hope you’ll enjoy this healthy apple crisp as much as we do!
- 5-7 granny smith apples, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup old fashioned oats*
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds, pecans, or walnuts
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9×9 baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine the apple mixture—apples, maple syrup, water, and cinnamon. Dump the apple mixture into the baking dish.
- In the now-empty bowl, combine the crumble topping ingredients—oats, coconut flour, egg, chopped nuts, cinnamon, salt, melted butter, and maple syrup. Once it’s well mixed, crumble on top of the apple mixture.
- Place the dish in the oven for 40-45 minutes. Half way through, loosely cover the pan with aluminum foil to prevent the crumble from browning too much.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream. Makes about 6 servings.
*Sub gluten-free oats if your diet is strict gluten-free as there may be trace amounts.