This recipe is as healthy as cookies get. These Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies are made without any grains, gluten, sugar or dairy—but you’d never know it.
I have been trying to find a healthy chocolate chip cookie recipe for years. Years. And now, I’ve finally found one that takes the cake. Enough about cake, let’s get into it.
This recipe is incredibly simple and only has eight ingredients. It’s gluten free, dairy free, and sugar free. Each ingredient is packed with health benefits and together they make one mighty fine cookie.
Almond flour is a great gluten-free flour alternative. It’s high in protein, vitamin E, healthy fats, fiber, and has less carbohydrates than other traditional flours.
Monk fruit sweetener comes from a plant which makes it a natural sweetener. It has zero carbohydrates, sugar, and calories, but that doesn’t make it okay to go crazy and sprinkle it on everything—it’s still a sweetener and can affect your sugar cravings.
Coconut oil is high in healthy saturated fat. It can aid in weight loss and reduce the risk of heart disease.
Eggs are incredibly nutrient dense. They’re a great source of protein and essential amino acids. The yolk contains valuable fat and good cholesterol which boost brain cognitive function.
The Best Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup golden monk fruit sweetener*
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dairy free chocolate chunks or chips**
- Sea salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large batter bowl, combine the almond flour, baking soda, salt, and monk fruit.
- Melt the coconut oil for 15 seconds in the microwave. Add to the batter bowl and stir.
- Next, add the vanilla and egg. Mix.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Chill the dough in the fridge for 20-30 minutes. This will make the next step much easier.
- Roll the dough between your hands to form 12-14 balls and place them on the parchment paper. Flatten the tops of each dough ball to the size of a thick cookie. The cookies won’t spread out much so it’s important to flatten them ahead of time.
- Sprinkle some sea salt on top if you’d like and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the tops begin to brown.
*You can use white monk fruit sweetener instead, but the golden monk fruit sweetener will create a more authentic cookie taste.
**If you don’t have an issue with dairy, feel free to use any kind of chocolate chips or chunks. I highly recommend Trader Joe’s Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chunks or Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Chocolate Chips.